Historic Columbus Foundation
Founded in June 1966, the Historic Columbus Foundation (HCF) is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization. Its mission is to promote historic preservation, heritage education, and heritage tourism in Columbus, the seat of Muscogee County. HCF has an active board of directors and an advisory board of trustees, a growing membership of more than 1,500, and a full-time professional staff. It is an advocate for preservation through representation on numerous boards, such as the city's Uptown Facade Board; Historic Chattahoochee Commission; Uptown Columbus, Incorporated; Board of Historic and Architectural Review; Gertrude "
Ma House board; Historic Linwood Foundation; Port Columbus; Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce; Columbus Archives and History Center; and Columbus Housing Initiative. HCF is a local partner in a coalition with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. " Rainey
In 1969, just three years after its founding, HCF played a major role in establishing the Columbus Historic District. In 1988 Heritage Corner was established as a tourist site of five structures owned by the foundation: a log cabin, circa 1800; the Walker-Peters-Langdon House, circa 1828; the Pemberton House, circa 1840; the Woodruff Farm House, circa 1840; and 700 Broadway, circa 1870.
With HCF support, a locally designated historic district, High Uptown, was established. In 2001 six new historic districts (Dinglewood, Wynn's Hill–Overlook, Peacock Woods–Dimon Circle, Hillcrest–Wildwood Circle, Wynnton Village, and Liberty Heritage) were given local designation by the city council; for all six HCF was a strong partner and advocate. The Rankin House, in High Uptown, has been restored as an 1850-70 historic house museum and houses the foundation's offices and research rooms.
HCF assisted with the establishment of the Chattahoochee Promenade, an outdoor history museum. The Seventh Street Project, a neighborhood revitalization effort, has been a public/private partnership through which HCF has saved and moved six endangered structures. This project continues with the purchase by HCF of numerous homes in the area for restoration and resale. Five
Threatened properties throughout Columbus are purchased for stabilization, resale, or restoration through HCF's revolving/redevelopment fund. Since 1966 HCF has revolved more than seventy structures and properties through this fund. Interest-free facade loans are made available for home improvement in Columbus's ten historic districts.
HCF was a partner in building Heritage Park, a $2.5 million water-enhanced park, which re
HCF has sponsored a variety of activitiChattahoochee riverfront each spring.
Operating and administrative expenses for the foundation are obtained from membership dues and donations. Annual fundraisers provide monies for community preservation projects. HCF was also a $1 million beneficiary of the Columbus Challenge Campaign of the Community Projects Foundation, Incorporated.
Media Gallery: Historic Columbus Foundation