On March 15, 1922, Atlanta Journal. To beat rival station WGST in becoming the city's first commercial operation, WSB used the 100-watt transmitter of amateur radio operator Gordon Hight in Rome, with the call letters standing for "Welcome South, Brother."
In 1927 WSB became a commercial station affiliated with the National Broadcasting Company (NBC). James Middleton Cox assumed ownership in 1939, and today WSB broadcasts on 750 kilocycles at 50,000 watts as part of a Cox Enterprises television stations, newspapers, broadband/cable companies, and dozens of other radio stations.
Lambdin Kay was the station's first full-time general manager, as well as a popular on-air personality. The NBC chimes, which were used to identify that network's radio and television stations, originated at WSB. Lambdin Kay played three notes on a small xylophone to signal station breaks, and NBC began using them when WSB became a network affiliate in 1927. NBC still uses the three-note theme, in electronic form, on some of its news programs and on its MSNBC cable channel.
WSB was located in the Biltmore Hotel for several years but moved to "White Columns" on Peachtree Street in 1956. The station is now housed with WSB-TV and Cox Radio's other Atlanta radio properties. As a "clear channel" station, WSB emits a signal that covers a vast area,
Recordings of WSB radio and television programs are housed in the Peabody Awards Collection archives at the University of Georgia libraries.
Media Gallery: WSB Radio