Fort Daniel, located on Hog Mountain in Gwinnett County, near the head of the Apalachee River, was one of several small frontier forts or "stations" built in northwest Georgia during the late eighteenth Cherokee and Creek Indians.
Early written descriptions place the location of the "fort at Hog Mountain," as it was originally known, at the southern boundary of the Cherokee hunting grounds. This boundary line, established more formally in 1798 by Indian affairs agent Benjamin Hawkins, was subsequently known as "the Hawkins Line." Although questions remain about the date and exact location of the original fort at the site, local historians and archaeologists have documented the location of the fort's second incarnation.
In a letter dated October 21, 1813, Major General Allen Daniel, commander of the Fourth Division of the Georgia Militia, wrote to Brigadier General Frederick Beall, commander of the Second Brigade of the Georgia Militia:
In the same month that Beall received orders to rebuild Fort Daniel, Lieutenant George R. Gilmer, who later served as the governor of Georgia, received orders to build a fort at the Indian town of Standing Peachtree, located at the confluence of the Chattahoochee River and Peachtree Creek, in what is now the Buckhead community of Atlanta. The fort was laid out on March 14, 1814, and completed in two months. At the same time, construction began on a road connecting Fort Daniel with the new fort at Standing Peachtree, which was sometimes referred to as Fort Gilmer. The road is still known as "Old Peachtree Road."
Daniel's Society for Georgia Archaeology, began in 2007. The letter raised new questions about Fort Daniel, and researchers have been working to discover whether Beall built an entirely new fort on Hog Mountain or simply rebuilt the existing fort. By 2011 excavations had yielded hundreds of artifacts, including ceramics, nails, musket balls, buttons, coins, Indian pottery, trade items, and stone tools. The site also yielded intact buried features, not the least of which is the entire stockade wall trench, with evidence of corner blockhouses in the southwest and northeast.