Decatur Cemetery

The Decatur Cemetery is the oldest-known publicly owned burial ground in metro Atlanta and dates to 1823. Expanded many times, the cemetery comprises 58 acres with more than 20,000 gravesites. The 7.5 acre "Old Cemetery" contains nineteenth-century burials and the historic African American section.

Photograph by Melinda G. Smith, New Georgia Encyclopedia

Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries