Grady Health System
Grady Health System is the largest public hospital–based health system in the Southeast, providing more than 200 specialty and subspecialty health care clinics. Included are
The nucleus of Grady's service area is Fulton and DeKalb counties in Atlanta, where Grady contracts to provide care for the medically underserved, treating many who would be turned away at other hospitals. Grady Memorial Hospital houses 953 licensed beds and 17 operating rooms, and the 5,000 employees of Grady Health System treated 921,000 patients in 2008.
Specialized Programs and Centers of Excellence
Grady has a nationally acclaimed burn unit and diabetes center, an obstetrical intensive care unit that is widely recognized for low mortality in a very high-risk patient population, a twenty-four-hour comprehensive sickle-cell center, and the Georgia Cancer Center for Excellence. The state's poison center is at Grady, and Grady Emergency Medical Service, the ambulance 911 provider for the city of Atlanta, made more than 500,000 ambulance trips in 2004.
The largest publicly funded infectious disease program in the eastern United States is housed at Grady, with 41,876 outpatient visits in 2002. The National Association of Public Hospitals has three times recognized Grady in its First Place Safety Net Award Category: for the Grady Health System Breast Health Initiative Program, for the Grady Health System Diabetes Detection and Treatment Program, and for the innovative use of a hand-held computer technology in diabetes assessment.
Grady is an internationally recognized teaching hospital, staffed exclusively by physicians from Emory University School of Medicine and Morehouse School of Medicine. Twenty-five percent of all physicians practicing in Georgia received some or all of their training at Grady.
The Early Years
Grady Hospital is named for Henry W. Grady, managing editor of the Atlanta Constitution in the 1880s.
Grady Hospital opened on June 1, 1892, with 18 employees and 100 beds, roughly 50 each for blacks and whites. The hospital featured one operating room with an amphitheater for students and staff. In 1899 the daily cost for a patient was $1.09. New construction completed shortly before World War I (1917-18) created separate white and black hospitals, clinics, nurses' quarters, and emergency rooms. Because of those separate facilities, the hospital was often referred to as "the Gradies," a name that would stick until desegregation almost fifty years later.
During the 1940s Margaret Mitchell, the author of Gone With the Wind, worked with Benjamin Mays, president of Morehouse College, to provide anonymous scholarships to Morehouse students. Dr. Otis Smith, one of Atlanta's first black pediatricians, was aided by her generosity. In 1949 Mitchell was struck by a taxi and taken to Grady, where she died of her injuries.
Grady's Role in Medical Education
Grady's founders chose to locate the hospital near Atlanta Medical College (chartered in 1854), which supervised patient care. In May 1915 the Atlanta Medical College was acquired by Emory University; the Emory School of Medicine was initially housed not on the Emory campus but in a building across the street from Grady. In the 1940s it received national recognition when Dr. Eugene Stead helped bring a cardiac catheterization lab to Grady, one of only three labs in the world with such a facility at that time.
In 1975 a medical school was established at Morehouse College to assume up to half of the responsibility for patient care, medical education, and clinical research at Grady. The goal was to address the shortage of physicians among minority communities. The Morehouse School of Medicine remains committed to training doctors who will work in underserved communities and research diseases that disproportionately affect minorities and the poor.
For many years Grady also supported a nursing education program. Grady Hospital Training School for Nurses opened in March 1898, and in 1917 the Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses opened for African American nurses. The two schools merged in 1964. Because of rising tuition and a growing emphasis on the bachelor of science degree, the nursing school officially closed in 1982.
In 1921 a Grady physician performed the first open-heart surgery in Georgia. In 1923 the world's first and largest comprehensive cancer center, the Steiner Clinic, was established. It lasted for about
In 1982-83 an ambitious renovation project created a sixteen-story building that continues to be the core of the modern hospital, and in the early 1990s Grady embarked on a $298 million renovation involving nine architecture firms, including Atlanta-based Stanley, Love-Stanley.
Restructuring of Grady Memorial Hospital
Grady Memorial Hospital's longstanding tradition of serving the poor and uninsured in the Atlanta area, many of whom are unable to pay for medical care, as well as reductions in state and federal funding, led to financial distress for the institution in 2007. In addition to a budget shortfall, much of Grady's equipment and infrastructure were seriously outdated, and the hospital risked losing its accreditation, which would have led to further reductions in federal funding.
In January 2008 a coalition of state and community leaders agreed to create the Grady Memorial Hospital Corporation, a nonprofit corporation charged with administering the hospital, and in March members of a new seventeen-member board were announced. In response to the board's fund-raising campaign to raise $100 million for the hospital, the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation pledged $200 million over four years, and the medical insurance company Kaiser Permanente pledged $5 million. The tumultuous year ended with Grady passing a surprise inspection and retaining its accreditation in November 2008.
J. I. Johnson and W. G. Pickens, Benjamin E. Mays and Margaret Mitchell: A Unique Legacy in Medicine (Winter Park, Fla.: Four-G, 1996).
John D. Martin Jr. and Garland D. Perdue, The History of Surgery at Emory University School of Medicine (Atlanta: The University, 1979).
J. Messler, M.D., "Grady Memorial Hospital—Historical Perspective on the Interconnection between Atlanta, Emory, Morehouse and Grady," Atlanta Medicine 77 (spring 2002): 29-33.
M. Moran, "A Suitable Memorial to Henry Grady," Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia 88, no. 2 (1999): 45-49.
A. G. Yancey Sr., "Grady Memorial Hospital Centennial: History and Development, 1892-1992," Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia 81, no. 11 (1992): 621-31.
A. G. Yancey Sr., "Medical Education in Atlanta and Health Care of Black Minority and Low-Income People," Journal of the National Medical Association 80 (April 1988): 467-76.
Cathy Lee, Grady Health System
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.