Terry College of Business
The Terry College of Business was created as the School of Commerce in 1912 on the UGA campus. The School of Commerce was very small in the first several decades of its existence. By 1930 the school graduated about forty students annually and offered such programs of study as finance, secretarial sciences, and industrial relations. The Great Depression stimulated interest in business, which led to an increase in enrollment during the 1930s. In 1941 the school's name changed to the College of Business Administration.
As UGA's College of Business Administration continued to grow, more attention was given to the hiring of faculty members who placed a strong emphasis on research. As the faculty became more accomplished, the reputation of the college grew.
In 1977 the College of Business Administration started one of the first schools of accounting in the United States. Economic growth in Georgia, particularly in the Atlanta metropolitan area, led to rapid growth for the college. As Atlanta became a center of industry, the College of Business Administration underwent numerous changes to accommodate the new demands. The college also made strides in educating nontraditional students, specifically those who already had jobs and were seeking additional training.
In October 1991 the college's name was changed to the C. Herman and Mary Virginia Terry College of Business. The name honors Florida insurance executive C. Herman Terry, a Georgia native and 1939 alumnus of UGA who, along with his wife, donated $6 million to the school in 1990. The Terrys' bequest, the largest cash gift in the college's history, was used to fund various endowed chairs, faculty fellowships, and scholarships. By 2002, during the deanship of P. George Benson, endowments for the Terry College of Business totaled more than $56 million. In 2007 Robert T. Sumichrast was appointed dean of the college.
As of 2006 the Terry College of Business comprised more than 100 faculty members and an undergraduate population of 2,100 students. The school offers ten undergraduate majors to students pursuing the bachelor of business administration degree: accounting, banking and finance management, economics, general business, international business, management, management information systems, marketing and distribution, real estate, and risk management and insurance. The college also offers a doctoral degree, as well as five master's degrees: the executive master of business administration, master of business administration, master of accountancy, master of Internet technology, and master of marketing research.
In January 2006 the Music Business Certificate Program, an interdisciplinary program administered jointly by Terry College and UGA's Hodgson School of Music, began operation. Offering a curriculum of music theory and history combined with business courses, the program was developed by UGA alumni Bruce Burch, a songwriter, and Steve Dancz, a composer. Initial funding was provided by George Fontaine, a 1976 graduate of Terry College and the founder of Doolittle Records (later New West Records) in Austin, Texas. In August 2006 a memorial fund supporting the program was established in honor of Phil Walden, the cofounder of Macon-based Capricorn Records.
Research and Outreach
In 2005 Terry College opened the Executive Education Center in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. The center houses the college's Executive MBA program and facilitates interactions between the Atlanta business community and Terry College students and faculty. The facility contains classrooms, conference rooms, office space, and a special events room, in which Terry Third Thursday, a monthly breakfast speaker program, is offered to the Atlanta business community.
F. N. Boney, A Pictorial History of the University of Georgia, 2d ed. (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2000).
Thomas G. Dyer, The University of Georgia: A Bicentennial History, 1785-1985 (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1985).
William Andrew Todd, Canton
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.