Situated on lands that were originally part of the Cherokee Nation, the Canton area was claimed by
Canton was once a top cotton-producing area. Canton Cotton Mills was one of the largest mills in the South, and "Canton Denim" was renowned for its high quality. Marble was also a flourishing industry in the area, where Georgia Marble Finishing Works was the largest marble company. The dairy and poultry industries later became important to the town's economy,
One place of interest is the historic 400-acre Crescent Farm estate. The Crescent Farm Rock Barn, a cherished landmark of Cherokee County, is the only rock barn in Georgia. It was built specifically as a stable for racehorses in 1906 by Augustus Lee Coggins and is now the headquarters of the Cherokee County Historical Society. The former estate residence, Edgewater Hall (also known as the A. L. Coggins House), was built in 1922 in the Georgian Revival style. The house, located on the highest point in Canton with a view of the Etowah River, was purchased by North Georgia Bank and converted to office space in 1986. Ten years later the bank sold the structure to the city of Canton, which has since used the building as its city hall.
Cherokee County Heritage Book Committee, The Heritage of Cherokee County, Georgia, 1831-1998 (Waynesville, N.C.: Don Mills, 1998).
Caroline Brown, Woodstock
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.