Peachtree City, called "the most successful planned community
Peachtree City sits on land that was first settled by Native Americans about 2,000 years ago. In 1821 Fayette County was formed from land bought from the Creeks. Settlers who had fought with the Marquis de Lafayette in the American Revolution (1775-83) named the county after him. One of the last skirmishes of the Civil War (1861-65) was fought near present-day Peachtree City. The area remained mostly rural until the mid-twentieth century.
In the 1950s a group of real estate developers, Bessemer Securities, amassed land in Fayette County to build a planned community. It was decided that the town would be divided into smaller hamlets, each with its own stores, schools, and recreational areas. Named Peachtree City, it was chartered on March 9, 1959.
The city is home to both domestic and international companies, many situated in the 2,600-acre industrial park. Some of the major businesses in Peachtree City are Cooper Lighting, Fitel Interconnectivity, Hoshizaki-America, Panasonic, and TDK.
The town was carefully designed with residential areas well removed from industrial areas. City regulations
Today, Peachtree City has five "villages" within the city limits: Aberdeen, Braelinn, Glenloch, Kedron, and West Side. Future plans may include a new village that will add about 4,000 new residents to the city. In the original design Peachtree City was to have as many as 80,000 inhabitants. The current land plan allows between 40,000 to 50,000 residents to call Peachtree City home.
Carolyn Cary, ed., The History of Fayette County, Georgia, 1821-1971 (n.p.: Fayette County Historical Society, 1977).
Arden Williams, Georgia Humanities Council
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.