Formed from part of Baker County, Mitchell County was created on December 21, 1857, by an act of the Georgia legislature and is the state's 123rd county. It was named either for Henry Mitchell, a general in the Revolutionary War (1775-83), or for David B. Mitchell, who served twice as Georgia's governor in the early 1800s; historical sources differ. Camilla, the county seat, was incorporated on December 14, 1858.
Three other incorporated cities lie within Mitchell County's 512 square miles: Baconton, Pelham, and Sale City.
Southwest Georgia Technical College maintains a satellite campus in Camilla.
In addition to historic landmarks, Mitchell County was the site of the Camilla Massacre. On September 19, 1868,
Mitchell County hosts a Christmas parade, the Gnat Days Festival in May, and the Camilla Pro Invitational Tennis Tournament, which has attracted dozens of touring tennis professionals each June since 1970.
Susan R. Boatright and Douglas C. Bachtel, eds., Georgia County Guide (Athens: Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia, annual).
Mildred Jackson Cole, From Stagecoaches to Train Whistles: History of Gum Pond, Mt. Enon, and Baconton in Mitchell County, Georgia, 1856-1976 (Baconton, Ga.: n.p., 1977).
Margaret Spence and Anna M. Fleming, History of Mitchell County (n.p., 1976?).
Raymond L. Chambers, Bainbridge College
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.