Georgia's twenty-seventh county, Wayne County was created in 1803 in the southeast part of the state on land acquired from the Creek Indians, who ceded the land to Georgia in the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (1802). The 645-square-mile county is named after "Mad" Anthony Wayne, a general in the Revolutionary War (1775-83).
While Georgia was still an English colony, part of the area now forming Wayne County was located in St. David's Parish. The area contained hundreds of acres of pine barrens and wiregrass country. Much of the land was undesirable for settlement by incoming whites, but some settlers arrived there as early as 1737, when records show that Jacob and Mary Musgrove set up a trading post at Fort Mount Venture. Georgia Rangers occupied the fort, which was located on the Sansavilla Bluff of the lower Altamaha River. In 1742 Yamasee Indians attacked and burned Fort Mount Venture, killing or imprisoning its occupants in what later became known as the Fort Mount Venture Massacre. Immigration by white settlers during the remainder of the eighteenth century was very slow, and by 1810 the population for the entire county was only 676. Many of the early white settlers were families who, having lost their bids to win richer land in Baldwin or Wilkinson counties in the 1805 land lottery, settled for the isolation and less desirable land offered by Wayne County.
Towns and Communities
The first recorded courthouse was built in the woods northwest of Waynesville in 1860. The current courthouse, built in Jesup between 1902 and 1903, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Jesup sprang up around a station serving the Macon and Brunswick Railroad (later Norfolk Southern) and the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad (later CSX). Its name came from Thomas Jesup, a U.S. Army general famous for his exploits during the Creek Indian War of 1836. Jesup has often been referred to as "the town that trains built" because of the prominence of railroads in its history.
Two other incorporated towns are Odum and Screven. Odum, incorporated in 1907, was originally the site of a large sawmill. The town was first named Satilla. Screven, incorporated in 1907, was formerly known as Station Seven on the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad line. Unincorporated communities include Broadhurst, Doctortown, Gardi, Grangerville, Madray Springs, McKinnon, and Mount Pleasant.
Doctortown was established on the site of a former Indian settlement where a chief, Captain Aleck, had lived. (Aleck means "doctor" in the Creek language.) A post-Revolutionary stockade, Fort Defense, was the first white establishment in Doctortown. Before the Civil War, the town was a steamboat and railroad center with a sawmill. In 1864 Union general William T. Sherman, on his march to the sea, tried unsuccessfully to destroy the railroad trestle in Doctortown and retreated to the town of Midway. The trestle is still in use.
Gardi (pronounced "gar-dye") is named after the Gardi Swamp. Two explanations have been put forth for the swamp's name. One holds that it was for the Gardner family, whose signpost had broken off at the "n," leaving what looked liked an "i," while the other, more colorful account, claims that it was so named because adventurers to the swamp had to guard their eyes while penetrating the thickets. McKinnon began as a Finnish settlement in 1921.
Economy and Recreation
A large proportion of the county's manufacturing jobs are related to the forest industry.
Wayne County offers plenty of opportunity for outdoor activity. The Altamaha River provides facilities for water sports, fishing, and camping, as does Lake Lindsay Grace, in western Wayne County. Three wildlife management areas, Little Satilla Wildlife Management Area, Rayonier Wildlife Management Area (shared with Brantley County), and Tyler Tract Wildlife Management Area, cover 105,000 acres of wilderness in the county.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population of Wayne County was 30,099, an increase over the 2000 population of 26,565.
Susan R. Boatright and Douglas C. Bachtel, eds., Georgia County Guide (Athens: Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia, annual).
Eric Denty, Portraits of the Past: A Pictorial History of Wayne County (Marceline, Mo.: D-Books Publishing, 2003).
Margaret Coleman Jordan, Wayne Miscellany ([Jesup, Ga.:], privately printed, 1976).
Bobby M. Martin, ed., Wayne County, Georgia: Its History and Its People (Dallas, Tex.: Curtis Media, 1990).
George White, Wayne County, Georgia, History and Biographies: Taken from Memoirs of Georgia and Historical Collection[s] of Georgia by George White (Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001).
Elizabeth B. Cooksey, Savannah
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.