Georgia's 126th county, Wilcox County comprises 380 square miles and was created in 1857 in the central part of the state from Dooly, Irwin, and Pulaski counties. Later, parts of Wilcox County were used to create Turner (1905) and Ben Hill (1906) counties. Historians disagree about the origin of Wilcox County's name, some claiming that it is named after General Mark Wilcox, a soldier in the Indian Wars who later served in the Georgia General Assembly, and others believing that it is named for his father, Captain John Wilcox.
Hernando de Soto is believed to have discovered the Ocmulgee River, in the area that became Wilcox County, in 1540. The area's first inhabitants were Creek Indians who signed treaties in the first two decades of the nineteenth century, forfeiting their land. The first white settlers came from neighboring counties and states during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Much of the land was virgin pine forest. Many settlers lived first by subsistence farming and hunting and moved later into cattle ranching after establishing their homesteads. Eventually, settlers produced cotton and fruit, as well as cattle, for the market.
Wilcox County was relatively young when the Civil War (1861-65) began, but its citizens supported the war effort by sending their sons and husbands to fight. Confederate president Jefferson Davis camped on May 8, 1865, at Abbeville during his flight through Wilcox County at the end of the war, two nights before his capture by Union forces in Irwinville.
In 1887 a new town in the center of the county was created, partly as a result of the completion of the Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroad through the area. Called Center at first, its name was changed to Rochelle when it was incorporated in 1888. The Hawkinsville and Florida Southern Railroad laid a line through northern Wilcox County, where the town of Pineview, incorporated
Other communities include Double Run, Owensboro, and Seville. Double Run's name reflects its place at the junction of two railroads. Seville (pronounced "see-vil") is named after the Spanish province and its capital.
Agriculture and timber remain the economic mainstays of Wilcox County. It is the second largest watermelon producer in Georgia. Other crops include peanuts and cotton. Wilcox County's development followed that of the railroads. While trains were a primary form of transportation, the county continued to thrive, but Wilcox County's fortunes followed those of the local railways as highways superseded rail transportation. The county's population, which had risen until the 1920s, began to decline, and communities that were established to serve train lines lost business to those in nearby counties served by the major highways.
The population started to climb again in the 1990s, when the Georgia Department of Corrections built Wilcox State Prison in the county. Commuters whose employment is outside the county have discovered the charms of Wilcox County's rural atmosphere and natural beauties, and have established households there in recent years.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population of Wilcox County was 9,255, an increase from the 2000 population of 8,577.
Susan R. Boatright and Douglas C. Bachtel, eds., Georgia County Guide (Athens: Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia, annual).
Mary Lou L. McDonald and Samuel Jordan Lawson III, comps., The Passing of the Pines: A History of Wilcox County, Georgia, 3 vols. (Roswell, Ga.: W. H. Wolfe Associates, 1984-92).
Elizabeth B. Cooksey, Savannah
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.