NGE >> The Arts >> Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Historic Preservation >> Landscape >> Notable Landscape Architects and Designers >> Clermont Lee (b. 1914)
Clermont Lee (b. 1914)
Clermont Huger Lee was born in Savannah in 1914. After schooling in Savannah and Charleston, South Carolina, she attended Barnard College in New York City before transferring to Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, where she eventually decided to major in landscape architecture. After completing her undergraduate degree, she attended the Smith College Graduate School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (formerly the Cambridge School), near Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, obtaining a master's of landscape architecture degree in 1939. Though Harvard was, at this time, the center for forward-thinking Bauhaus architecture, Lee preferred traditional, less severe landscape styles.
During the Great Depression, Lee returned to Savannah to become an assistant to T. M. Baumgardner, a landscape architect associated with the Sea Island Company. While working there, she planned landscape designs and supervised planting operations for many federal housing projects in Savannah and Brunswick.
Her interest in historic gardens began in the 1940s, when, at the request of a family friend, she drew plans for a small garden at the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation in Brunswick. In 1944 she made measured drawings of ten Victorian gardens in Savannah for Laura Bell and the Georgia Historical Society. She later researched antebellum plantings to develop a planting plan for the formal garden of the Andrew Low home for the Georgia Chapter of the Colonial Dames of America. In 1949 Lee left the Sea Island Company to set up her own practice, thereby becoming the first female professional landscape architect in private practice in Savannah.
From 1951 to 1972 Lee worked with Mills B. Lane Jr., the president of the Citizens and Southern Bank, and his wife to develop landscapes for renovated homes in the northeast section of Savannah. She also worked with the Lanes to develop plans for the renovation of four Savannah squares: Madison, Troup, Warren, and Washington. Her designs to preserve the sanctity of the squares brought her into conflict with the city, which wanted drive-through lanes for emergency crews and buses crossing the middle of all squares. To address the problem of the turning radius required by the buses, the city adopted Lee's suggestion that the curves of entry into the squares be rounded. In addition, some utility poles and concrete walks were removed from the squares. Lee's strong, simple designs used variations in materials and ground forms to give each square a special character.
In addition to becoming one of the few women in landscape architecture in Georgia, Lee also worked for recognition of her profession. When the American Society of Landscape Architects was founded in 1899, only one woman, Beatrix Farrand, from New York, was among its founding members. Lee joined the ASLA in 1950 and later worked in conjunction with Hubert Owens, head of the Department of Landscape Architecture at the University of Georgia, to establish the Georgia State Board of Landscape Architects. The first four landscape architects to be registered included Owens and Lee. Lee served on the Georgia board for three years.
Clermont Lee not only made history for women in landscape architecture, but also had a lasting impact on the quality of Savannah's historically designed landscape environment.
Catherine R. Brown and Celia Newton Maddox, "Women and the Land: A Suitable Profession," Landscape Architecture 72 (May 1982).
Leslie Rose Close, "A History of Women in Landscape Architecture," introduction to The Gardens of Ellen Biddle Shipman, by Judith B. Tankard (New York: Sagapress, 1996).
Sherold D. Hollingsworth, "Women Landscape Architects and Their Influence on Southern Gardening," in The Influence of Women on the Southern Landscape, proceedings of the Tenth Conference on Restoring Southern Gardens and Landscapes, October 5-7, 1995, Old Salem, Winston-Salem, N.C., 1997.
Van Jones Martin and William Robert Mitchell Jr., Landmark Homes of Georgia, 1733-1983: Two Hundred and Fifty Years of Architecture, Interiors, and Gardens (Savannah, Ga.: Golden Coast, 1982).
Ced Dolder, Ray and Associates
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.