In the spring
Sidney Root, a pioneer Atlanta merchant, played a role in the early development of Grant Park. It is reported that his love of trees and nature inspired him to suggest to Grant, a
When the land was deeded to the city, Mayor John B. Goodwin appointed Root president and general park superintendent, and Lemuel Grant served on the park commission. The supervising of the construction of the park was left to Root, who remained in charge until his death in 1897.
As soon as the city took over ownership of the park, it spent $1,500 to improve its grounds. By 1885 the city extended its corporate limits to include the park. Mayor George Hillyer noted in an annual address to the city council that L. P. Grant Park, or Grant's Park as it came to be known, was a source of pride and that the hardworking and industrious people of Atlanta deserved such a place of recreation.
A few years later Gress and Charles Northern purchased a cyclorama painting, The Battle of Atlanta, which was placed on exhibit in a circular building on Grant Park grounds in 1892 and donated to the city in 1898. The Cyclorama is the largest painting in the country, at 42 feet tall and 358 feet in circumference. It was originally commissioned by General John "Blackjack" Logan (who had unsuccessful vice-presidential ambitions) and depicted a charge Logan led after the death of General James McPherson. In 1921 the cyclorama was moved to a building designed by Atlanta architect John Francis Downing. The painting and its specially designed building were renovated in 1979, following storm damage and general deterioration, and reopened to the public in 1982.
In 1935 Asa G. Candler Jr. made a gift to the zoo of his private collection of 84 wild animals and nearly 100 birds. He had kept the animals at his house on Briarcliff Road, much to the dismay of his neighbors. He rejected a bid by the city of New York as being too low. Instead, he offered the collection as a gift to the city of Atlanta if suitable housing was provided. Through donations, the necessary funds were raised and the animals were added to the existing municipal zoo at Grant Park.
Through the years the park has seen many changes. The pool and Lake Abana were drained in the 1960s, and acreage was added. The zoo has continued to grow, and the early pavilions have been removed. An antique carousel was placed in the park in 1966.
Grant Park, now 131.5 acres, has remained an important part of life in Atlanta and has remained popular with its citizens. By 2001 the park had an average of two million visitors each year.
Atlanta History: A Journal of Georgia and the South 43, no. 4 (2000).
Franklin M. Garrett, Atlanta and Environs: A Chronicle of Its People and Events, 3 vols. (1954; reprint, Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1969).
Tammy H. Galloway, Smyrna
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.