Piedmont College, a private liberal arts institution, was founded in 1897 to serve residents of the Appalachian area of northeast Georgia. Today, with campuses located in Demorest and Athens, the college provides undergraduate and graduate degree programs for about 2,000 students from across Georgia and around the world.
The new college ran into early financial trouble and was on the brink of closing its doors when it was adopted by the American Missionary Association (AMA) of the Congregational Church in 1901.
Through the first half of the twentieth century, including World War I (1917-18) and World War II (1941-45), Piedmont continued to fulfill its mission of providing a high-quality college education to Georgia's mountain youth. During this time, the college was led by presidents noted for their progressive social and academic views: John C. Campbell (1904-7), for whom the Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina, is named; Henry Clinton Newell (1907-10 and 1930-36); Frank E. Jenkins (1910-30); George C. Bellingrath (1936-39); Malcolm Boyd Dana (1939-44); and Albert Ray Van Cleave (1944-49).
In 1949, after the college experienced more years of financial difficulties, the AMA ended its
Walter retired in 1983, and subsequent presidents continued his efforts to improve the Demorest campus. In 1989 construction of the Arrendale Library began under president D. Garen Simmons (1983-90) and was completed during the term of president John F. Elger (1991-95).
The college entered a second period of major campus and academic expansion under president W. Ray Cleere (1995-present). In a little more than a decade, the college built several academic buildings,
Enrollment has also increased dramatically, from 936 students in 1995 to more than 2,000 in 2006. The faculty, too, has grown from 47 full-time professors in 1995 to a faculty of 100 today.
Piedmont also expanded its academic offerings, opening the R.H. Daniel School of Nursing in Demorest and creating new undergraduate programs in art, education, business, mass communications, environmental science, and physics. Today, the college offers twenty-nine undergraduate majors in the arts and sciences and professional disciplines. In 1994 Piedmont began
Sport has always played an important role in the life and health of Piedmont students. The college is a member of the NCAA Division III and competes in a variety of men's and women's intercollegiate sports, including baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball. In recent years, the college has improved all of its athletic facilities and constructed the Walker Athletic Fields, Johnny Mize Athletic Center, and Loudermilk Baseball Complex.
Mary C. Lane, Centennial History of Piedmont College, 1897-1997 ([Demorest, Ga.]: Piedmont College, [1997?]).
David Price, Piedmont College
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.