Hugh Peterson Sr. (1898-1961)
Hugh Peterson was born in Ailey on August 21, 1898, to Joanna Calhoun and William J. Peterson. He graduated in 1916 from Brewton-Parker Institute (later Brewton-Parker College) in Montgomery County, and in 1917 from the University of Georgia in Athens.
Peterson enlisted in the U.S. Army and entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, in October 1918. He remained in the military until honorably discharged at the end of World War I (1917-18). After the war, Peterson returned to Ailey and established an insurance agency in 1919, while also managing his family farm holdings and studying law under a private course. In 1921 he was admitted to the Georgia Bar Association and elected mayor of Ailey, serving from 1922 to 1923.
In 1922 Peterson won a seat in the Georgia House of Representatives as the representative of Montgomery County. He continued his insurance and farming enterprises while in office and in 1924 established the Monitor Publishing Company, serving as president of the company and editor of the Montgomery Monitor into the 1950s. A member of the Georgia house until 1930, Peterson served on numerous committees, including Appropriations, Aviation, Public Highways, and the University of Georgia and Its Branches. He also became close friends with other young legislators from around the state, including Roy V. Harris and Richard B. Russell Jr. In late 1929 Peterson met Russell's sister Patience Elizabeth Russell, whom he married on June 24, 1930. The couple had one child, Hugh Peterson Jr., who became an attorney in Atlanta.
Peterson's high level of involvement with fellow legislators, committees, and state agencies allowed him to contribute to Georgia governor Lamartine Hardman's plan in 1928-29 to reorganize the state government. This effort, led by Atlanta businessman and civic leader Ivan Allen Sr., consisted of a major survey of Georgia's governmental department structure. In 1930 Peterson ran for a seat in the state senate, and Russell, his new brother-in-law, ran for governor. Both won their respective elections and immediately set to work modifying and implementing Hardman and Allen's plans. Russell named Peterson chair of a special legislative committee, which held hearings and created the State Reorganization Act of 1931. This act included the consolidation of more than 100 state departments into 18, as well as the creation of the University System of Georgia. Russell signed the act into law on August 28, 1931.
From 1946 until his death in 1961, Peterson worked as a lobbyist for the American Turpentine Farmers' Association, Georgia Power Company, and the United States Cane Refiners Association. He also pursued development interests around Montgomery County and the region of southeast Georgia.
While researching development around Sylva, North Carolina, Peterson died there of a cerebral hemorrhage on October 3, 1961. He was buried in Ailey at the Peterson family cemetery. His papers are housed at the Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies at the University of Georgia.
Gilbert C. Fite, Richard B. Russell Jr., Senator from Georgia (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1991).
Renna Tuten, University of Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.