NGE >> The Arts >> Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Historic Preservation >> Architecture: Design >> Emerging Modernism, 1930-1950 >> Tucker and Howell
Tucker and Howell
In the seminal architectural exhibition organized by Philip Johnson and Henry-Russell Hitchcock in 1932 at
McKendree Tucker (1896-1972) was born in Bartow, Florida. He served as a pilot in World War I (1917-18) and in 1919 received a certificate in the two-year architecture course at the Georgia Institute of Technology. After graduation he and his classmate Lewis Crook (later of Ivey and Crook) began work for the Atlanta firm of Hentz, Reid, and Adler. In the late 1920s Tucker formed a partnership with Albert Howell (1904-74), son of Atlanta Constitution editor Clark Howell.
Tucker and Howell soon developed a specialty in theaters, designing for Georgia towns by the same name the LaGrange (1930), Manchester (1935-37), Newnan (1937), and Cedartown [West] (1941) theaters, the latter adorned with relief sculpture by Julian Hoke Harris. Other Tucker and Howell theater projects in Georgia included the Rivoli (1936) and DeSota (1939), both in Rome; the Royal (1937) in Hogansville; and the News Reel Theater (1941) in Atlanta.
During this period the
In the late 1940s and the 1950s the firm's progressive International aesthetic moved them away from their earlier, more traditional houses and moderne and modern public buildings. This is evidenced in the Atlanta Water Bureau Construction and Maintenance Building (1947) and two Atlanta schools, Price High (1953-54, addition 1958, razed), and Emma Hutchinson Elementary (1955-56). Hutchinson was recently defaced by an ill-conceived renovation, and Price was razed despite its being one of the best early modern schools in the city.
From the 1930s through the 1950s Tucker and Howell produced noteworthy Georgia landmarks in moderne and early modern styles. It is considered one of the state's most significant architectural firms of the period.
Robert M. Craig, Atlanta Architecture: Art Deco to Modern Classic, 1929-1959 (Gretna, La.: Pelican, 1995).
"New Prison for the State of Georgia, Tattnall County on the Ohoopee River," Southern Architectural Review 2, no. 3 (March 1, 1939): 13-17.
"Stock Materials—Good Design," Southern Architect and Building News (March 1930): 61-63.
Robert M. Craig, Georgia Institute of Technology
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.