The history of the first four generations of the DuBignon family in Georgia is interwoven with that of Jekyll Island, which the DuBignons owned from 1794 until 1886. During their nearly 100 years at Jekyll, these descendants of French emigrants emerged as prominent figures in the civic life of Glynn County.
Christophe Poulain DuBignon (1739-1825)
A French aristocrat, sea captain, and entrepreneur, Christophe Poulain DuBignon amassed a small fortune through trade and privateering. During the American Revolution, DuBignon harassed British shipping in the Indian Ocean, capturing a dozen ships. One of those prizes was valued at more than a million French pounds. He added to his fortune through commercial ventures in India.
His retirement in the late 1780s to his country estate in Brittany was short-lived because of the French Revolution. Fearing attack on his noble privileges, DuBignon traveled to Georgia in 1791 as a partner in the Sapelo Company. When the company collapsed, he exchanged his portion of Sapelo Island for land at Jekyll Island in 1794. By 1800 he owned all of Jekyll Island. He settled with his family at the Horton House, a tabby structure built as the home of Major William Horton in the 1740s.
DuBignon adapted to life as a cotton planter on Jekyll Island and prospered at times. But the profitability
Colonel Henry Charles Poulain DuBignon (1787-1866)
Because of his estrangement from his eldest son, Joseph (1785-1831), DuBignon bequeathed the majority of his estate to his son Henry. Henry DuBignon combined plantation management with civic duties, serving as commissioner of the city of Brunswick, Inferior Court judge, and trustee for Glynn Academy. His militia service distinguished him most, and he carried the rank of colonel. Henry became the patriarch of the family, as it seems all descendants, both white and black, trace their lineage to him. In two marriages and in extramarital affairs, he fathered no less than twenty children.
Henry moved to Brunswick after his second marriage in 1852, and Jekyll was no longer the center of family life. Many of his adult children also moved to the mainland to establish homes or careers. His sons Charles and Joseph, for example, left Jekyll Island to pursue opportunities in politics, serving as state legislators for Glynn County in the 1840s. Charles DuBignon gave up public life, it was said, being "too truthful and upright to excel as a politician." His marriage to the wealthy heiress Ann Virginia Grantland in Milledgeville, however, established him as a prosperous and respected planter in Baldwin County. Joseph DuBignon's promising start in the Georgia House of Representatives was cut short by his death at age thirty-six.
In 1863 Colonel Henry DuBignon divided the island among the three surviving sons of his first marriage
John Eugene DuBignon (1849-1930)
Ownership of Jekyll Island was again consolidated under John Eugene DuBignon. An entrepreneur engaged in banking, manufacturing, and shipping in Brunswick,
Martha L. Keber, Seas of Gold, Seas of Cotton: Christophe Poulain DuBignon of Jekyll Island (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2002).
June Hall McCash, The Jekyll Island Cottage Colony (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1998).
Martha L. Keber, Georgia College and State University
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.