Carrollton, the seat of Carroll County, is a major educational, economic, and health care center for several counties
According to the 2010 census, the population of Carrollton was 24,388. The current governing body consists of a mayor and city council. A city manager supervises the day-to-day operation of the city.
Academy Award–winning actress Susan Hayward resided near Carrollton from 1957 until 1966 and is buried just north of town. Other well-known people who have lived in Carrollton include the sculptor Julian Harris and "Mark Trail" comic strip creator Ed Dodd.
Each year more than 7,000 people participate in programs sponsored by the Carrollton Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Arts Department. A new community theater is currently under construction just off the square. John Tanner State Park is located just west of town.
Before white settlement, the Carrollton area was home to the Creek Indians. One of their chiefs, William McIntosh, who resided south of Carrollton along the Chattahoochee River, was murdered there in 1825 for his lead role in signing away the remaining Creek lands east of the Mississippi River. Carroll County was created in 1826. The county and its seat, Carrollton, were both named in honor of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, last living signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Business and Industry
Carrollton's first large industry was Mandeville Mills. Established in 1890, this textile mill operated until 1954. Roy Richards Sr. founded a wire and cable manufacturing business known as Southwire in 1950,
Carrollton, one of Georgia's Main Street cities, a state historic preservation program, is taking giant steps in improving the façades of businesses on the square. The city has an active recreation and cultural arts program, and in 2002 it was named a Georgia "City of Excellence" by the Georgia Municipal Association and Georgia Trend magazine.
A campus of West Georgia Technical College is located in Carrollton. The school opened in 1968 as Carroll Technical Institute to serve the residents of Carroll, Coweta, Douglas, and Haralson counties, and later became West Central Technical College. In July 2009 West Central Tech merged with with West Georgia Tech.
Carrollton's city school system is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Georgia Accrediting Commission. The Neva Lomason Memorial Library, located just north of the town square, is headquarters for the West Georgia Regional Library, which serves Carroll, Douglas, Haralson, Heard, and Paulding counties.
James C. Bonner, Georgia's Last Frontier: The Development of Carroll County (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1971).
Benjamin W. Griffith, At Home in Carrollton: A History Illustrated, 1827-1994 (Carrollton, Ga.: Carroll County Historical Society, 1995).
Myron Wade House, University of West Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.