Coastal Plain Experiment Station, Tifton
The Coastal Plain Experiment Station, located in Tifton, is
At the beginning of the twentieth century more and more south Georgians began to till the soil and raise livestock in the Coastal Plain. They quickly learned that profitable agriculture in this area was a challenge. The long growing season, hot summers, and sandy, loamy soils required different crops and farming practices from those used in central and north Georgia.
In 1918 the Georgia Land Owners Association, led by
The mission of the station is much the same today as when it opened: "To conduct both applied and basic research bearing
The station remains dedicated to the crops that were dominant when it was founded, but it also has grown along with south Georgia agriculture. Research at the station now includes irrigation, precision agriculture, value-added processing, vegetables, fish, tree fruits and nuts, turf grasses, hogs, and ornamental horticulture crops. Scientists affiliated with the station perform research on more than 7,000 acres in south Georgia, with research farms and centers also at Attapulgus, Midville, Plains, Reidsville, Savannah, and Camilla. University of Georgia researchers also collaborate with Agricultural Research Service (U.S. Department of Agriculture) scientists based on the station—a partnership that began in 1924.
The station has evolved into the Tifton campus of the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental
Brad Haire, University of Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.