Bleckley County, in central Georgia, was named for state chief justice Logan Bleckley. The 219-square-mile county was carved from Pulaski County by constitutional amendment in October 1912, when it became Georgia's 147th county. The area was originally inhabited by the Creek Indians.
The seat of Bleckley County, Cochran, originally known as Dykesboro, was incorporated in 1869 and named for Judge Arthur E. Cochran, president of the Macon and Brunswick (later Southern) Railroad.
Other towns in the county are Allentown and Empire. Allentown existed first as Cross Roads, then as Cool Spring, and later as Allen's
Points of interest in the county include the Ocmulgee River and Game Preserve, and Hillcrest (also known as Cedar Hall), an early-twentieth-century home in Cochran built in the Classical Revival style and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population of the county is 13,063, an increase from the 2000 population of 11,666.
Susan R. Boatright and Douglas C. Bachtel, eds., Georgia County Guide (Athens: Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia, annual).
Daughters of the American Revolution, Hawkinsville Chapter, History of Pulaski and Bleckley Counties, Georgia, 1808-1956 (Macon, Ga.: n.p., 1957-58).
Antoinette F. Johnson and Linda Pettey Lander, eds., Our Heritage: Bicentennial, 1776-1976 (Cochran, Ga.: Cochran-Bleckley Bicentennial Committee, 1976).
Elizabeth B. Cooksey, Savannah
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.