Located just west of Valdosta in southwest Georgia, on the Florida border, Brooks is a county of moss-laden oaks and a long and honored history.
Founded on December 11, 1858, Brooks County was created from portions of Lowndes and Thomas counties. The 494-square-mile county was named for Preston S. Brooks of South Carolina, an extremely popular young legislator known for his intensely southern sentiments and his zealous defense of southern rights. In 1853 Brooks was elected to Congress as a States' Rights Democrat and served until his death four years later, at the age of thirty-eight. A year later the Georgia legislature showed their appreciation of him by naming a county for him.
The largest town in Brooks County, Quitman, was named the county seat.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population of Brooks County is 16,243, a decrease from the 2000 population of 16,450.
Folks Huxford, History of Brooks County, Georgia, 1858-1948 (Athens, Ga.: n.p., 1949).
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Quitman Chapter No. 112, Historic Treasures of Brooks County, Georgia, 2d ed. (Quitman, Ga.: Quitman Chapter, 1974).
Judith A. Shippey, Hinesville
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.