Andrew College, founded in 1854, is located in Cuthbert in southwest Georgia.
When the Civil War began in 1861, enrollment, which had been growing, fell. During the war classes were held in private homes but were never suspended. Referred to as Hood Hospital, the college building was used as a facility to nurse wounded soldiers. Many of the soldiers who died at Hood Hospital were buried in the historic Greenwood Cemetery in Cuthbert.
After the war Alexander L. Hamilton became president of the college and served two terms (1866-71 and 1876-81).
Andrew College continued to grow and became well known for its excellent arts and letters programs. The college experienced a crippling blow in April 1892, however, when all of its buildings were destroyed in a fire. The citizens of Cuthbert and Randolph County met the day after the fire to pledge money to rebuild the school. By the following September the school was ready to reopen.
Old Main, built in 1892
Warren Bush Hall, named for a professor, was built in 1900 to accommodate more classrooms. Cuthbert Hall, built in 1912, connected the two buildings. Early in the twentieth century, Dumas Malone, the eminent Thomas Jefferson historian and biographer, spent two years (1914-16) at the institution teaching Greek and religion. During this time the academy classes were dropped, as was the word "Female" from the college title. In 1917 Andrew became a two-year college.
In 1948 William and Lila Pitts and their daughter, Margaret, benefactors of the United Methodist Church,
Andrew College's physical education heritage has remained strong over the years. Male and female students participate in intramural and intercollegiate games. By the early 1990s Andrew College had a men's and women's soccer team, a baseball team, a fast-pitch softball team, and a golf team.
Organizations play a vital role in the life of the college. Among the notable student-led organizations are the campus newspaper and literary magazine, Menagerie, and a chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the international junior and community college honor society, which has been active on the campus since the 1950s. The chapter, the smallest in the nation, has won the national "Most Distinguished Chapter" award five times. The Choraliers, a choral group of talented men and women, perform throughout the Southeast, and both the art and theater departments have remained strong.
The 1980s and 1990s brought new physical growth to campus, including the Don Abbott Turner Dining Hall, the Rhodes Science and Computer Center, the Jinks Physical Education Complex, Fort Hall, and the Jones Chapel.
Most of the approximately 400 men and women enrolled at the college are from Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, with international students making up 10 percent of the student body in 2004. As a two-year liberal arts college, Andrew prepares its students to attend four-year institutions. More than 90 percent of the students who attend Andrew College transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
Iva P. Goolsby, Florence T. Moye, and Cornelia M. Mattox, Randolph County, Georgia: A Compilation of Facts, Recollections, and Family Histories, vol. 1 ([Cuthbert, Ga.]: Randolph Historical Society, 1977).
Randolph County Historical Society, Randolph County, Georgia, vol. 2 (Cuthbert, Ga.: Randolph County Historical Society, 1997).
Annette McDonald Suarez, A Source Book on the Early History of Cuthbert and Randolph County, Georgia (Atlanta: Cherokee, 1982).
Karan B. Pittman, Andrew College
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.