South Georgia College
In 1906 the state legislature passed the Perry Act, which created an agricultural and mechanical (A&M) school in each of the congressional districts in the state. These secondary schools were designed to prepare rural youth for farm life. Graduates were also qualified for college admission. The legislature chose Douglas as the site of the Eleventh District Agricultural and Mechanical School. Local resident Benajah Peterson donated land for the school, and local residents raised $52,000 to help cover construction costs.
The institution opened its doors to students in 1907 and primarily provided high school level instruction.
The growth of public education in Georgia during the first few decades of the twentieth century, particularly at the high school level, made the A&M schools largely unnecessary, and in the 1920s the
In the late 1920s state leaders began an examination of higher education in Georgia with the intention of reorganizing and simplifying the system. In 1932 South Georgia Junior State College became one of the original institutions of the University System of Georgia. To mark its new status, the school shortened its name to South Georgia College.
Since the 1930s, the school has undergone steady expansion beyond its original three buildings. By 2006 the 220-acre campus supported twenty-six buildings, including two residence halls, a wellness center, and a student center. A number of campus activities, including a variety of intramural and intercollegiate sports as well as numerous student clubs and organizations, are available to students. In fall 2009 enrollment at South Georgia College reached 2,000 students, and the faculty to student ration was 1:20.
In 2011 the university system's board of regents redesignated South Georgia College from a two-year to a four-year institution. The change was made to enable the college to offer a bachelor of science degree in nursing, scheduled to begin in fall 2013.
South Georgia College offered twenty-three programs of study in 2012. The college maintains a cooperative arrangement with Wiregrass Georgia Technical College in Fitzgerald in which students can take classes at both institutions, and students may also participate in study-abroad programs in Costa Rica and Europe.
Christopher Allen Huff, University of Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.