Macon Trading Post
The remains of the trading post consisted of two buildings surrounded by a five-sided stockade with posts set in a narrow ditch
Excavations of the trading house also have revealed a number of Native American graves, with European trade goods primarily from English sources. Archaeological evidence indicates that the trading house was not present continuously throughout the Creek period. Archaeologist Gregory Waselkov suggests that the fortified settlement probably dates to the period after 1702, when English-backed Creeks from this area attacked Spanish missions in present Florida. Expecting reprisals, they built fortifications but probably did not need them after the Creeks destroyed the Apalachee missions in and around present Tallahassee, Florida, in 1704.
Archaeologist Carol Mason argues that the remains are from the Hitchiti town of Ocmulgee, the residence of English trader James Lucas. Based on his interpretation of the Herbert Map of 1725, archaeologist Marvin Smith suggests that the complex may be the town of Kasihta. While the exact identification of the town and trading establishment is controversial, it may well be the origin point for English-backed Creek raiders who destroyed the Spanish missions in present Florida in 1702 and again in 1704.
Arthur R. Kelly, "The Macon Trading Post, an Historical Foundling," American Antiquity 4 (1938-39).
Arthur R. Kelly, "A Preliminary Report on Archaeological Explorations at Macon, Georgia," Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin, no. 119 (1938).
Gregory A. Waselkov, "The Macon Trading House and Early European-Indian Contact in the Colonial Southeast," Ocmulgee Archaeology, 1936-1986, ed. David J. Hally (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1994).
Marvin T. Smith, Valdosta State University
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.