Destined to defend the southern frontier from the continued presence of Spanish colonials in the American Southeast,
A Planned Community
To honor Frederick Louis, prince of Wales, Georgia's Board of Trustees determined upon a name for the new town in the fledgling province on September 26, 1735. Because there was already a Fort Frederick on Port Royal, South Carolina, the name was feminized. The old town at Frederica
A Strategic Location
Despite the smaller forts and batteries located to the south and west, the town's citadel and the heart of the frontier defense system was Fort Frederica. In his Journal, John Percival (the earl of Egmont) remarked that the "bay within was very secure for shipping" and the southern mouth of the Altamaha River "land lock'd from the Winds." Oglethorpe had observed a high bluff in January 1734 while reconnoitering Georgia's coastal Sea Islands in search of a suitable fort site. The bluff's elevation and location provided a commanding view of inland waterways and the salty sea marshes as well as protection from invasion. The fact that the land had previously been cleared for an "Indian old field" made this strategically important location even more attractive.
Fort and First Residents
Accompanied by thirty men, Oglethorpe returned to this setting by February 18, 1736. He traced out a fort with four bastions, "dug enough of the ditch and raised enough of the Rampart for a sample for the Men to work upon." Grass was cut into turf from the Indian old field and used in sodding the fort. By September 1738 Oglethorpe's regiment consisted of six companies, each with about 125 men. An imposing barracks was constructed to house them.
Forty-four men and seventy-two women and children had settled at Fort Frederica by mid-March 1736. Less than ten years later, the number had grown to 1,000. Most of the early residents were tradesmen and their families who had braved a two-month voyage across the Atlantic. They prospered, supplying the needs of the regiment.
After an unsuccessful siege of St. Augustine by Georgia soldiers in 1740 during the War of Jenkins' Ear, Spanish forces launched a retaliatory invasion of Fort Frederica in midsummer 1742. Oglethorpe was outgunned and outmanned but not outmaneuvered. Over a two-week period he and his men engaged the invading Spanish forces in a skirmish at Gulley Hole Creek and on July 7, 1742, at Bloody Marsh,
The British regiment disbanded in May 1749. With its departure, many of Frederica's townspeople relocated. Nine years later, in April 1758, a great fire swept Frederica, reducing much of it to ashes. Today the Fort Frederica National Monument ruins stand as a silent reminder of colonial military struggles.
George Fenwick Jones, The Germans of Frederica (St. Simons, Ga.: Fort Frederica Association, 1996).
Albert C. Manucy, "The Fort at Frederica," Notes in Anthropology 5 (1962).
Phinizy Spalding, ed., Women on the Colonial Frontier: A Study of Frederica and Early Georgia (St. Simons, Ga.: Fort Frederica Association, 1995).
Patricia Barefoot, National Park Service, Fort Frederica National Monument
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.