Georgia Historical Quarterly
The Georgia Historical Quarterly, the scholarly journal of the Georgia Historical Society, has been published continuously since 1917. It continues to serve the aims set out in its inaugural issue: to collect, preserve, and disseminate Georgia history.
The Quarterly began publication in Savannah almost eighty years after the society's founding in 1839.
With this challenge looming, the Quarterly 's founders hoped that its young periodical would attract new members. They explicitly voiced a hope for an expanding statewide membership, which would, in the words of the leadership, "increase the subscriptions, on which the Society mainly depends for its support and efficiency."
William Harden, the society's librarian for more than fifty years, was chosen as the Quarterly 's first editor. As an antiquary and amateur historian, Harden perfectly represented a major shortcoming of the society to the GHA members, who wished to replace antiquarianism with the new scientific history. Though Harden was editor for four years, the Quarterly seemed doomed to failure. Its scholarly articles were few, and its page numbers steadily dwindled.
Salvation came in 1920. Negotiations led to the merger of the GHA and the society, with their memberships combined and the society's restructured governing board reflecting what was deemed the new "statewide character of the re-organized Society." A by-product of the change was the editorial takeover of the Quarterly by professional historians with doctorates and an editor assisted by an editorial board—a practice that continues. First to serve as editor was Percy Scott Flippin
In 1924 E. Merton Coulter took over the editorship for the next fifty years (1924-74). A North Carolina native for whom Georgia history became a lifelong passion, Coulter doted on the Quarterly and carried out practically every facet of its production (including writing a large percentage of the articles and book reviews himself). Many of the features most firmly associated with the Quarterly date from his tenure: articles with full scholarly apparatus, "Notes and Documents" (often primary sources with annotations), and book reviews critiquing publications relating mainly to Georgia and southern history.
Accepting the daunting task of succeeding Coulter, Phinizy Spalding maintained the periodical's high standards during his term (1974-80). Seeming as good-humored and personable as Spalding himself, the new Quarterly featured bright, jaunty colors on the cover and engaging introductory
The Quarterly was pushed well into the forefront of scholarly publications under the guidance of Thomas G. Dyer (1982-89) and his associate editor and successor John C. Inscoe (1989-2000). Dyer pioneered design and layout modifications that transformed the Quarterly into a journal that was handsome, colorful, and plentifully illustrated. Inscoe took these modifications to their full potential, particularly with carefully chosen illustrative material for articles and many stunning color covers. During this time the Quarterly enjoyed a full-time assistant editor, Sheree Dendy. Under both Dyer and Inscoe,
In 2000, following several years of restructuring, personnel changes, and budgetary difficulties, the society resumed direct oversight of the Quarterly. Under a new system, editorial duties were split between two professional historians, an editor with an academic affiliation, Anne J. Bailey of Georgia College and State University, and an assistant editor at the Society's offices, Stan Deaton. Today the Quarterly continues in the best traditions of its past.
Sheree H. Dendy, "Seventy-Five Years of the Georgia Historical Quarterly, " GHS Footnotes 17 (summer 1991).
Georgia Historical Quarterly (1917- )
William Harris Bragg, Georgia College and State University
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.