D. W. Brooks (1901-1999)
David William Brooks was born in Royston, in Franklin County, on September 11, 1901, to Lettie Jane Tabor and David William Brooks. He was reared on and around his father's five department stores and several farms in northeast Georgia. In those years the young Brooks gravitated more to the farms than the stores, and he quickly developed an affinity for farming. His interests would become focused on ways to improve agriculture versus day-to-day farming. In 1930 he married Ruth McMurray, with whom he had two children, David William Jr. and Nancy Ruth.
Brooks entered the University of Georgia (UGA) in 1918 and graduated with a bachelor of science degree in 1922. The next year he completed a master of science degree in agriculture and was hired as a teacher by the UGA agronomy department, where he taught until 1925, when he became a field supervisor for the Georgia Cotton Growers Cooperative Association. During this time Brooks grew increasingly concerned about the plight of Georgia farmers. After World War I (1917-18) and continuing into the Great Depression, agriculture slipped into a severe economic downturn due to many factors, including a boll weevil invasion and lack of demand for certain crops. By 1932 per capita income for Georgia farmers had dropped to $72 per year.
Launching Farm Cooperatives
Brooks moved in 1933 to Carroll County, one of the largest cotton-producing areas of the state, and he and five farmers from that area formed the Georgia Cotton Cooperative Association, which later was called the Cotton Producers Association (CPA). Brooks put his earlier studies and observations about cooperatives to use, and the organization was almost immediately successful. For the next forty-seven years, the organization never suffered a loss.
The CPA expanded in 1940 into direct cotton marketing and in 1941 into the insurance business with the Cotton Farmers Mutual Insurance Association (later Cotton States Insurance Company). By the end of World War II (1941-45) the CPA had expanded into fertilizer, farm supplies, seed, and agricultural chemicals that were sold through a rapidly growing network of local farm-supply cooperatives in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina. Later expansions took the cooperative into poultry, peanuts, pecans, soybeans, eggs, and livestock, on a worldwide basis. After the decline of cotton in the late 1960s, the CPA name was changed, and the organization officially became Gold Kist, Inc., in 1974. Brooks and his family relocated to Atlanta, where Gold Kist's headquarters were located.
Presidential Advisor and Agriculture Leader
After he retired in 1980, Brooks refocused his efforts from agriculture to community service, serving as a trustee of Emory University, Wesleyan College, Reinhardt College (later Reinhardt University), and the UGA Foundation. Active in the United Methodist Church, Brooks was a member of the Board of Managers and Board of Missions of the church and served as vice president of the World Division of that association.
Brooks donated his papers, including an extensive oral history collection, to the Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies at UGA. The collection provides rich documentation of agribusiness in Georgia, national and international trade relationships and policy making, and the development of modern Georgia.
He died on August 5, 1999, in Atlanta.
D. W. Brooks, D. W. Brooks: Gold Kist and Seven U.S. Presidents, an Autobiography (Atlanta: privately printed, 1993).
Parks B. Dimsdale, A History of the Cotton Producers Association (Atlanta: Cotton Producers Association, 1970).
Brian S. Wills, "D. W. Brooks: Gold Kist's Goodwill Ambassador," Georgia Historical Quarterly 74 (fall 1990): 487-502.
Barry W. Jones, University of Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.