The animals from the circus included four lions, a hyena, and several monkeys, among other animals. Gress, who also purchased the Cyclorama and placed it in the park next to the zoo, continued, during the 1890s, to tour other zoos across America looking for new animals and new ideas. In its early years, the zoo was a menagerie designed to provide entertaining curiosities in cages. With its lake, boathouse, trails, historic fort, and zoo, Grant Park was called the "most ambitious city play-ground in the South" in 1895 by Harper's New Monthly Magazine. Still, despite the popularity of the zoo, some city councilmen wondered whether it was worth the expense, and if not for persuasive arguments on the part of Gress and his allies, the zoo might have closed as the twentieth century began.
The zoo's most famous resident, lowland gorilla Willie B., arrived in 1959. Named after Atlanta mayor William B. Hartsfield, the gorilla was quite popular among zoo visitors until an illness cut his life short. The second Willie B. continued to draw crowds, and the primate house became the site for a science room in which children could learn about the scientific study of zoo animals.
While Roth continued to make improvements, many city officials wondered whether taxpayers could afford the zoo's expense. Roth resigned in 1970, and his successor, J. S. "Steve" Dobbs, was faced with managing an aging zoo. Dobbs's years as zoo director were marred by controversy, including mysterious circumstances surrounding the deaths of several animals. By 1984 Parade Magazine had deemed the Atlanta Zoo one of the ten worst in the nation.
The controversy mobilized both the zoo's support base and Atlanta city leaders to create a crisis team that would implement changes. A new director, Terry Maple, a research scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology and former board member of the Atlanta Zoological Society, was hired. Atlanta–Fulton County Zoo Inc., a new public-private partnership, was formed to generate funding and run the zoo, which in 1985 officially became known as Zoo Atlanta. Within a few years, the zoo had raised money, increased visitors and memberships, and found corporate donors. Most importantly, the zoo opened new outdoor habitats for the animals, allowing Willie B. to step outside for the first time since 1961. Under Maple's leadership, the zoo continued to improve and became arguably one of the best small zoos in the country. The arrival of pandas in 1999 cemented Zoo Atlanta's reputation as a premier zoological collection focused on education, research, and conservation. Dennis W. Kelly has been Zoo Atlanta's president and chief executive officer since 2003.
Zoo Atlanta has an annual attendance of more than 500,000, and 40,000 households have family memberships. The zoo encourages corporate sponsorship with its Zoo Atlanta Days and special events featuring live music, storytellers, and raffles. The zoo's education department offers tours, overnight summer-camp programs, and the ZooMobile, which makes visits to schools.
Francis Desiderio, "Raising the Bars: The Transformation of Atlanta's Zoo, 1889-2000," special issue, Atlanta History: A Journal of Georgia and the South 43, no. 4 (winter 2000).
Francis Desiderio, Decatur
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.