Fort Daniel, located on Hog Mountain in Gwinnett County, near the head of the Apalachee River, was one of several small frontier forts or "stations" built in northwest Georgia during the late eighteenth
Early written descriptions place the location of the "fort at Hog Mountain," as it was originally known, at the southern boundary of the Cherokee hunting grounds. This boundary line, established more formally in 1798 by Indian affairs agent Benjamin Hawkins, was subsequently known as "the Hawkins Line." Although questions remain about the date and exact location of the original fort at the site, local historians and archaeologists have documented the location of the fort's second incarnation.
In a letter dated October 21, 1813, Major General Allen Daniel, commander of the Fourth Division of the Georgia Militia, wrote to Brigadier General Frederick Beall, commander of the Second Brigade of the Georgia Militia:
In the same month that Beall received orders to rebuild Fort Daniel, Lieutenant George R. Gilmer, who later served as the governor of Georgia, received orders to build a fort at the Indian town of Standing Peachtree, located at the confluence of the Chattahoochee River and Peachtree Creek, in what is now the Buckhead community of Atlanta. The fort was laid out on March 14, 1814, and completed in two months. At the same time, construction began on a road connecting Fort Daniel with the new fort at Standing Peachtree, which was sometimes referred to as Fort Gilmer. The road is still known as "Old Peachtree Road."
James C. Flanigan, History of Gwinnett County, 3 vols. (Lawrenceville, Ga.: Gwinnett Historical Society, 1984-95).
Benjamin Hawkins, The Collected Works of Benjamin Hawkins, 1796-1810, ed. Thomas Foster (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 2003).
Benjamin Hawkins, Letters, Journals, and Writings of Benjamin Hawkins, 2 vols., ed. C. L. Grant (Savannah, Ga.: Beehive Press, 1980).
Florette Henri, The Southern Indians and Benjamin Hawkins, 1796-1816 (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1986).
James J. D'Angelo, The Fort Daniel Foundation, Inc.
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.