Christopher Murphy Jr. (1902-1973)
Christopher Aristide Desbouillons Murphy Jr. was born in Savannah on December 28, 1902, to Lucile Desbouillons and Christopher Patrick Hussey Murphy, both well-known artists in Savannah. The oldest of their seven children, he was known as Christopher Murphy Jr. His middle names differed from his father's and were bestowed upon him in tribute to his maternal grandfather. Murphy's sister Margaret also chose art as her vocation.
Art was a constant presence in the Murphy home at 11 East Perry Street. Reference books and art materials were in abundant supply for Murphy's use, and he began to study art seriously at the age of ten. He received his initial art instruction from his parents and was also influenced by Hardesty Gilmore Maratta, a visiting artist and inventor of the Maratta theory of color, which advocates the use of harmonizing colors in an innovative way. Murphy graduated in 1920 from the Benedictine Military
Murphy attended the Art Students League in New York City off and on from 1921 until 1923, and again in 1925 and 1930. During his time there he studied life drawing with George Bridgman, painting and composition with F. V. DuMond, portraiture with Henry R. Rittenberg, and etching with Joseph Pennell. Murphy was also intensely interested in architecture, and in 1922 he studied design with the architect Lloyd Warren, who was the director of the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design in New York City. In 1925 he was awarded a Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation Fellowship.
During the 1920s Murphy divided his time between Savannah and New York. He took classes offered by the Savannah Art Club at the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences (later the Telfair Museum of Art) in Savannah with local artist Hilda Belcher and visiting artists Adolphe Blondheim, William Chadwick, and Eliot Clark. His etchings and portraits won awards, and his work was widely exhibited, appearing at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, England; the National Academy of Design, the Brooklyn Society of Etchers, and the New York Water Color Club, all in New York; the Art Institute of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois; the Sesquicentennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and a solo exhibition in New Jersey. His work was also included in traveling exhibitions of the Southern States Art League and the American Watercolor Society.
Murphy was also an active member and president of the Savannah Art Club, the oldest art club in Georgia. Established to encourage art appreciation in the citizenry of Savannah and further art as part of the community's cultural life, the Savannah Art Club also managed the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences.
In the following decades Murphy directed his career from Savannah. He maintained a rigorous exhibition schedule, which included showing his work in Georgia at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, the Savannah Art Club, and the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences; in New York at the 1939 New York World's Fair, the Print Club of Rochester, and the Whitney Museum of American Art; in Ohio at the Cleveland Print Club; and in Pennsylvania at the Philadelphia Print Club. At various times
Murphy married Ernestine Cole in 1946; their only child, Christopher Cole Murphy, was born three years later. In 1947 he produced thirty-seven illustrations for the book Savannah, a collaboration between Murphy and local historian Walter Charlton Hartridge. The book was well received and helped initiate massive restoration efforts in historic downtown Savannah.
Murphy died on October 20, 1973, and is buried at Hillcrest Cemetery in Savannah. The collection of the Morris Museum of Art in Augusta includes 100 pieces of his work; the Telfair Museum of Art also houses his work.
Walter Charlton Hartridge and Christopher Murphy Jr., Savannah (Columbia, S.C.: Bostick and Thornley, 1947).
Holly Koons McCullough and Feay Shellman Coleman, Picturing Savannah: The Art of Christopher A. D. Murphy, exhibition catalog (Savannah, Ga.: Telfair Museum of Art, 2008).
Karen Towers Klacsmann, Morris Museum of Art
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.