LaGrange Art Museum
The LaGrange, is situated adjacent to Lafayette Square in a renovated 1892 Victorian building, which originally served as the Troup County Jail. The museum's primary mission is visual arts education, outreach, and community support to the citizens of west Georgia and east Alabama through a variety of exhibitions and programs. It hosts an average of fourteen exhibitions per year with a focus on regional artists and, to a lesser extent, national artists.
Founded in 1963 as an outgrowth of the Chattahoochee Valley Art Association, the museum was originally called the Chattahoochee Valley Art Association Gallery. The museum facility was completely renovated in 1978 and became the Chattahoochee Valley Art Museum in 1991. In 2006 the name changed once again to become the LaGrange Art Museum.
The arts and crafts market, with merit awards, and highlights painting, jewelry, glass, and photography.
Along with the Lamar Dodd Art Center of LaGrange College, the museum cosponsors the LaGrange National Biennial, a nationally juried art exhibition held at the museum and at the Dodd Art Center. The museum also provides support for the LaGrange Artists' Guild, which holds its regularly scheduled meetings at the museum.
The permanent collection focuses primarily on twentieth-century works, with an emphasis on American southern art. Artists whose work resides in the permanent collection include Pat San Soucie (watercolor) and Larry Welo (etchings). In 1996 the museum was the venue for the Georgia Watercolor Society National Show, an annual exhibition hosted yearly by various Georgia museums.
Media Gallery: LaGrange Art Museum