Terrell County, located in southwest Georgia, was created from neighboring counties, Lee and Randolph, by an act of the state legislature approved February 16, 1856. By this same act it was named for the eminent Georgia physician and statesman William Terrell. The county has a land area consisting of 335.5 square miles and, according to the 2010 U.S. census, a population of 9,315, a decrease from the 2000 population of 10,970. It was once a thriving farming area, but agriculture has been replaced as the primary source of income by services, manufacturing, and retail trade. The nearest metropolitan shopping center is Albany, in neighboring Dougherty County.
Two sites in the county are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Terrell County Courthouse and the Garden Club House. The present courthouse is the second one to be built in the county; it was constructed in 1892 and renovated in 1936. Its architectural style is Late Victorian, and it was designed by William H. Parkins. Another interesting building in the county is the Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church, built in 1858 and the oldest church still standing on its original site in Terrell County.
The Tour of Homes, which allows the public to view the inside of Dawson's antebellum and Victorian houses, is held each year on the first Saturday in May.
Ella Christie Melton and Augusta Griggs Raines, History of Terrell County, Georgia (Roswell, Ga.: W. H. Wolfe Associates, 1980).
Terrell County's Centennial Panorama, 1856-1956 (Dawson, Ga.: privately printed, 1956).
Claudia Copeland, Dawson
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.