Talbot County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1827. The county was formerly a part of Muscogee County. It is located thirty miles northeast of Columbus and sixty miles west of Macon in west central Georgia. The Flint River forms the northeastern boundary, and Talbotton is the seat of the 393-square-mile county. Both the town and the county are named for Captain Matthew Talbot, who served as Georgia's governor for a short time in 1819. Collinsworth Institute and Talbotton Female Academy (later LeVert College), one of the first schools for females in Georgia, were located in Talbotton.
In 1836 the last of the Creek Indians were forcibly removed from the area,
Between 1992 and 1997, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture,
Hunters know Talbot County for its large deer. The county also holds a popular fall festival and car rally. Nearby attractions include Pine Mountain, Warm Springs and Franklin D. Roosevelt's Little White House, the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation, Callaway Gardens, Columbus, and the Flint River Recreation Outdoor Center.
According to the 2010 U.S. census the county's population was 6,865, a slight increase from the 2000 population of 6,498.
Robert H. Jordan, There Was a Land: A Story of Talbot County, Georgia, and Its People (Columbus, Ga.: n. p., 1971).
Toni Pierce Webb, Muscogee County School District
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.