Lamar Dodd Art Center of LaGrange College

Named in honor of Lamar Dodd, a leading artist and art educator in Georgia, the Lamar Dodd Art Center in LaGrange was completed in 1982. Funded by the Callaway Foundation, it is a modern three-story building with facilities for LaGrange College's art and design department and two floors of galleries devoted to the college's art collections and exhibition program.
Dodd grew up in LaGrange and received his first formal training in art at the college, at the time a women's college. In the late 1970s he donated a retrospective collection of his works to the college as well as works from his private collection. A gallery in the center exhibits his work on a permanent basis. The center also houses the Case Collection of American Indian Art and the Twentieth-Century Masters of Photography Collection.
The center organizes numerous temporary exhibitions of nationally known and regional artists each academic year. It also cosponsors a biennial juried exhibition, the LaGrange National, exhibiting photography, sculpture, and decorative arts. The college's art and design department has programs of study leading to the undergraduate major in art and design. Courses are offered in painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, printmaking, photography, graphic design, art history, and museum studies.
close

Loading

Cite This Article
Lawrence, John. "Lamar Dodd Art Center of LaGrange College." New Georgia Encyclopedia. 13 August 2013. Web. 27 November 2014.
More from the Web
From Our Home Page
Pecans

Although

Read more...
Charles Lindbergh in Georgia

In 1923 Charles Lindbergh flew his first solo flight at Souther Field in Americ

Read more...
Atlanta Falcons

In 1965 the Atlanta Falcons became the first professional football team in the city of Atlanta and the fifteenth National Football Lea

Read more...
Sherman's March to the Sea

The March to the Sea, the most destructive campaign against a civilian population during the

Read more...
Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries