Knox Institute

The Knox Institute was founded in 1868 in Athens, which became a center for African American secondary education after the Civil War. Located at the corner of Reese and Pope streets, the prestigious private school offered academic and industrial instruction. The school closed in 1928, and the structure no longer exists.

Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries

Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries