The Flint River, which stretches from the Piedmont to the Chattahoochee River in southwest Georgia, is one of only forty rivers in the nation's contiguous forty-eight states that flow unimpeded for more than 200 river miles.
The Flint has had many names. One early name given
Length and Route
The Flint River has an unusual source. It begins as groundwater seepage in west central Georgia at what is today the mouth of a concrete culvert on the south side of Virginia Avenue in Hapeville, an Atlanta suburb. The water that collects there quickly disappears under the runways of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as it flows southward through the culvert. It is joined by water from such tributaries as Sullivan, Mud, and Camp creeks. Fifty miles downstream, this water has transformed itself into one of Georgia's most scenic and diverse rivers. Near Culloden, the Flint crosses the fall line, dropping 400 feet over the next fifty miles as it journeys down the Coastal Plain.
Between the Flint's urban beginning and its reservoir ending, its watershed—which includes the cities of Jonesboro, Thomaston, Montezuma, Marshallville, Cordele, Americus, Albany, and Bainbridge—drains some 8,460 square miles. This watershed can be divided into three distinct regions, the Upper, Middle, and Lower Flint, based on landscape, channel characteristics, flora, and fauna.
Flora and Fauna
Though the Flint begins in metropolitan Atlanta, self-purification occurs from the river's unimpeded flow and its abundant wetlands, which filter pollutants. The Flint's northernmost swamp occurs in the Jonesboro area. Downstream, Magnolia Swamp lies just north of the fall line, Beechwood Swamp just south of it. Together these two swamps make up what is locally called the Great Swamp. The Flint's largest wetland, the Chickasawhatchee Swamp, lies farthest south and is Georgia's second-largest deepwater swamp.
White settlers poured into western Georgia to farm the land between the Flint and Chattahoochee rivers in the early nineteenth century, often setting up large cotton plantations. In 1828 the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint river system began supporting steamboat travel. By 1860 more than twenty-six steamboat landings dotted the Flint between Bainbridge and the river's junction with the Chattahoochee. Steamboats traveled upriver as far as Montezuma until the sandy, shifting riverbed of the Middle Flint proved too treacherous. Steamboats below Bainbridge continued to thrive and remained in operation until about 1928, mostly to ship cotton to the port of Apalachicola. Smaller boats and barges traveled from Bainbridge to Albany. While steamboats navigated the Flint lengthwise, numerous ferries traversed the river. The last ferry across the Flint, near Marshallville, closed in 1988.
The Flint River has also figured prominently in the lengthy tristate "water war." Since 1992 Alabama, Florida, and Georgia have struggled to allocate fairly the states' shared water resources. In question are the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint and the Alabama-Coosa-Tallapoosa river basins, both originating in Georgia. A key issue is Atlanta's future growth—the Chattahoochee flows through Atlanta, and the Flint originates just south of the city. A final agreement has yet to be reached.
Natural disasters have also thrust the Flint River into the headlines. In early July 1994, the tropical storm Alberto stalled over western Georgia. Not only did runoff from the city of Atlanta dump millions
Paradoxically, from the summer of 1998 to the end of 2003, Georgia experienced a severe drought. The Lower Flint, because of its shallow aquifer discharge, was especially threatened. In 2000 the General Assembly passed the controversial Flint River Drought Protection Act, which aims to preserve a minimum flow in the river by paying farmers in southwest Georgia not to irrigate their land from area streams during severe drought years.
Most recently, during a January 2002 snowstorm, a drainpipe became clogged at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, allowing de-icing fluids to overflow into the Flint. The result was the detection of trace amounts of ethylene glycol and propylene glycol in drinking water drawn from as far downstream as Fayette County. The pipe was repaired, and people were assured that the amounts were not harmful to them, but the fragile relationship between the Flint's ecosystem and the people who inhabit it was once again dramatically highlighted.
The Future of the Flint
Another promising sign for the Flint's future lies on one of the many old cotton plantations along the Lower Flint. Ichauway, located near the town of Newton, was owned by Coca-Cola magnate Robert Woodruff until his death in 1985. In 1991 the Woodruff Foundation established the Joseph W. Jones Ecological Research Center, named for the chairman emeritus of the Woodruff Foundation, at Ichauway. The center's mission is to be a 29,000-acre outdoor laboratory devoted to the study of the longleaf pine, aquatic ecology, and water resources. A staff of 100 scientists and other researchers work there, exploring ways to protect the resources of the Flint River watershed.
Floods, droughts, and man-made occurrences, with their instantaneous and widespread coverage by the press, have called attention to the Flint River in ways previously unimagined. People of the Flint basin know that the days have long passed when its water can be taken for granted. They recognize the need to balance the use of the river's many rich resources with the protection of its delicate and unique ecosystems. Until the twentieth century, the Flint River was important to southwest Georgians. In today's interconnected world, it is important not only to all Georgians but also to people in surrounding states.
Fred Brown, The Flint River: A Recreational Guidebook to the Flint River and Environs (Atlanta: CI Publications, 2001).
Ralph Ellis, "De-icer Danger Won't Be Probed," Atlanta Journal-Constitution, February 17, 2002.
Flood of the Century: Southwest Georgia / Spec Magazine (Albany, Ga.: [Brooks, 1994]).
Edward A. Mueller, Perilous Journeys: A History of Steamboating on the Chattahoochee, Apalachicola, and Flint Rivers, 1828-1928 (Eufaula, Ala.: Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1990).
Susan D. Morris, University of Georgia Libraries
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.