Church of the Nazarene
The United Methodist Church, have been active in Georgia since 1910. They have had an administrative district in the state since 1915. The Georgia District, led by an elected superintendent, has its headquarters in McDonough. As of 2010 it consisted of 9,452 members in 95 churches. The church also sponsors a campground in Adrian, in Emanuel County.
Georgia radio broadcasts of the church's World Mission Broadcast, which produces programs in thirty-six languages.
The history of Nazarenes in Georgia dates back to an evangelical revival in eighteenth-century England led by John and Charles Wesley.
The earliest major Nazarene work in Georgia took place in Donalsonville, in the southwest corner of the state, where a strong congregation was supported mostly by the T. J. Shingler family. This congregation had been a part of the Georgia Holiness Association that merged in 1907 with the Holiness Church of Christ, one of the founding groups of the Church of the Nazarene. In 1910 the Shingler family donated forty acres of land to the new Nazarene denomination to establish a Bible college in the town.
The church's beliefs share the backgrounds of Methodism and the nineteenth-century American Holiness Movement. The doctrines center on justification by faith, the total inspiration of the scriptures, and the atonement of Christ for all humankind. The most distinctive belief is called entire sanctification, which is based on the Wesleyan emphasis that Christians are called to a holy life marked by an act of God subsequent to salvation. Entire sanctification cleanses the believer of "original sin" (self-centeredness) and fills him or her with a love for God and humankind.
Media Gallery: Church of the Nazarene