Georgia Institute of Technology College of Design
The College of Design at the Georgia Institute of Technology offers undergraduate degrees in architecture, building construction, and industrial design. Graduate programs lead to master's and doctoral degrees in architecture and city planning. The college is home to more than 850 students and 100 full- and part-time faculty.
When the Georgia School of Technology was founded in 1888, there was no architecture program. Ivey and Crook, expressed an interest in establishing such a field of study at the engineering school. He gathered several fellow students with similar goals, and in 1908 the architecture department was founded, with Preston A. Hopkins as head. When Hopkins resigned after a year, Francis Palmer Smith, who had been a student at the University of Pennsylvania under Paul Cret, established an academic program of study in the Beaux-Arts tradition. The emphases on drawing, historical study, and a liberal education provided a foundation that resulted in the school's becoming one of the premier design schools in the country. Graduates from Smith's era (1909-22) established a classical tradition in Atlanta architecture that reached a level of excellence during the 1920s and 1930s, rivaling the best of the Northeast.
After the three-year headship of John Llewelyn Skinner (1922-25), Harold Bush-Brown began the longest term of leadership of the school's history. During Bush-Brown's directorship the Beaux-Arts tradition
In World War II (1941-45) to the expanding architecture school, Bush-Brown hired new faculty from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, designers who had studied under Walter Gropius, founder of the Bauhaus in 1919 and its first director. Within a few years the Beaux-Arts character of the school had been displaced by the Bauhaus influence.
One of Bush-Brown's last contributions was to establish a city planning program in 1954. Two years later he retired, and Heffernan took over as director of the School of Architecture (which had been raised from department status in 1948). Heffernan's tenure resulted in the establishment of a building construction program in 1958 and expansion from a school in the College of Engineering to the College of Architecture. In 1975, on the eve of his own retirement, Heffernan established the Paris Study Abroad Program.
Computer-aided design has overtaken freehand drawing, watercolor rendering, and analytiques as visual skills of representation developed for all architecture students. But the school retains its focus on design with strengths in history, theory, and criticism, and it has maintained a high national ranking and a consistent tradition of excellence.
In May 2016 the school announced a name change. Instead of the Georgia Tech College of Architecture, it became the Georgia Tech College of Design.
Media Gallery: Georgia Institute of Technology College of Design