Luther Rice University

Luther Rice University, a college and seminary located in Lithonia, in DeKalb County, provides instruction for students who plan church-related careers. Affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the school is named after Luther Rice, a nineteenth-century Baptist missionary.
A New England native and originally a Congregationalist, Rice converted to the Baptist faith in 1812. He spent the next several decades traveling across the country, converting new members to the church. Rice believed in mission work overseas and raised large amounts of revenue for the early Baptist missions in Burma (also known as Myanmar) and India. Rice frequently appealed to Baptists in Georgia for funds and during his tours through the state often stayed with such prominent Baptist leaders as Adiel Sherwood and Jesse Mercer, for whom Mercer University in Macon is named.
The roots of Luther Rice University, originally called Luther Rice Seminary, lay just across the Georgia border in Jacksonville, Florida. In 1962 Robert Gee Witty, pastor of the Central Baptist Church in Jacksonville, organized an effort to form a seminary. The intent was to create an alternative school for Southern Baptists who believed that their denominational schools were drifting away from a conservative past. In June of that year, the state of Florida granted a charter for the school, and Central Baptist Church provided the facilities for classes to meet. Staffed entirely by Southern Baptist pastors, by 1964 the school had ninety-four students and sixteen part-time faculty members.
Beginning in 1970 the school began to purchase and construct several buildings to house classrooms, administrative offices, and a library. By 1976 Luther Rice Seminary proved successful enough to employ a full-time faculty. In 1988 a church in Lithonia donated its entire building and property to Luther Rice Seminary. Within three years the entire school moved from Florida to its new campus in Georgia. In 2004 the school's board of trustees changed the name of the school to Luther Rice University.
Luther Rice University has experienced several leadership and academic changes since its founding. From 1962 to 1968 a board of trustees appointed part-time presidents to fulfill the administrative tasks of the institution. In 1968 a full-time presidency was created, and Witty became the first president of Luther Rice. As of 2006 four additional presidents have served since Witty's retirement in 1982.
In 1979 Luther Rice was reorganized into two schools, one an undergraduate Bible college and the other a graduate-level seminary. The school offers four degrees: a bachelor of arts in religion, a master of arts in either ministry or divinity, and a doctoral degree in ministry. As of 2005 Luther Rice had 1,008 students, the majority of whom were enrolled in the graduate curriculum. Of the school's 356 undergraduates that year, only 33 percent were full-time students, and 71 percent were male.
close

Loading

Cite This Article
Burch, Jarrett. "Luther Rice University." New Georgia Encyclopedia. 13 August 2013. Web. 02 September 2014.
Partner Links
From Our Home Page
Geographic Regions of Georgia: Overview

The diverse landscapes of Georgia result from geological and climatic forces working throughout time, with some recent direct influence from human activities.

Read more...
James Brown (ca. 1933-2006)

James Brown, who grew up in Augusta, was one of the most influential musicians of the last half of the twentieth century.

Read more...
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with headquarters in Atlanta, has been a key factor in combating many of the hea

Read more...
Atlanta Campaign

The "Atlanta campaign" is the name given by historians to the military operations that took place in north Georgia during the Civ

Read more...
Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries