Hank Margeson

Hank Margeson is a photographer whose work focuses on the interpretation and recording of diverse cultures in the southern United States. He earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Georgia in Athens.
Margeson's work in commercial photography began in 1976 when he moved to New York City to work with Pete Turner in his Carnegie Hall studio. He later returned to Atlanta and opened his own studio, Hank Margeson Photography. His southern plantation photographs were exhibited in several museums and corporate collections in Rome, Italy, and in New York.
Margeson also taught at North Georgia College and State University (later University of North Georgia), where he worked as a photography professor from 1989 until 2007. He is a member of the Atlanta Photography Group.
Over the course of his career, Margeson has received several accolades. His honors include a Governor's Teaching Fellowship, a Georgia Council for the Arts Artist Initiated Grant, and selection as a Georgia Art Educator of the Year. His photograph Rex Pond is part of Georgia's State Art Collection.
close

Loading

Further Reading
Hank Margeson and Joseph Kitchens, Quail Plantations of South Georgia and North Florida (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1991).
Cite This Article
Diaz, Laura. "Hank Margeson." New Georgia Encyclopedia. 09 December 2016. Web. 23 October 2019.
From Our Home Page
Robert Sengstacke Abbott (1868-1940)

Georgia native Robert Sengstacke Abbott founded, edited, and published the Chicago Defender, for decades the country's dominant African American newspaper.

Read more...
Charles B. Cluskey (ca. 1808-1871)

Charles Cluskey was an antebellum architect and a prominent designer of Greek revival–style houses and public buildings in Augusta,

Read more...
Civil War Cemeteries

Both during and after the Civil War (1861-65), Georgians faced the task of burying the Confederate and Union soldiers who died

Read more...
USS Savannah

Between the late eighteenth and mid-twentieth centuries, multiple ships belonging to the U.S. Navy were named Savannah.

Read more...
Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries