Truett-McConnell College Cleveland, the seat of White County, the college offers a serene environment on 288 acres near the headwaters of the Chattahoochee River.
The college was established in Cleveland on July 23, 1946, and opened its temporary quarters to fifty-five students in September of the following year; the buildings on the present campus were first used in 1956. Georgia Baptists named the school Truett-McConnell to honor George W. Truett and Fernando C. McConnell. Truett had been pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, Texas, for forty-seven years, and McConnell, Truett's cousin, was pastor of Atlanta's Druid Hills Baptist Church. Hiawassee, where McConnell aided him. The academy is no longer open, but the dream of the two preachers is alive at the college campus in Cleveland.
In 2002 Jerry W. Pounds Sr. became president of the college. He served until 2008, when he was succeeded by Emir Caner.
Set in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the campus includes a Baptist student center, gymnasium, dining hall, chapel, library, biology laboratory, president's home (which houses the administrative Helen, with its many sights and activities. (The college also maintained several satellite campuses until 2001, when all were closed.)
In 2008 Truett-McConnell offers twelve bachelor degree programs of study, including business, Christian studies, early childhood education, and music. The college's small enrollment, 451 students in fall 2008, affords students and professors the time and space to form academic relationships.
Media Gallery: Truett-McConnell College