Old Mercer University

Several buildings remain on the original campus of Mercer University in Greene County. A Baptist institution, Mercer University was founded in Penfield in 1833 and moved to Macon in 1871. The community of Penfield was eventually absorbed by nearby Union City after the school's relocation.

Photograph by Melinda Smith Mullikin, New Georgia Encyclopedia

Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries