Updated Recently

Christian Science

Christian Science

1 week ago
Alice Walker

Alice Walker

1 week ago
Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds

1 week ago

Explore Georgia’s rich music history

From blues and soul to classical and country—our Spotify playlists feature 130+ songs written and performed by Georgians.

Robert Woodruff and Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans

Robert Woodruff and Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans

Robert Woodruff, the president of the Coca-Cola Company, is pictured with Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans at the Stork Club in New York City, during the 1940s. Evans owned the Atlanta Coca-Cola Bottling Company, founded by her husband Joseph Whitehead, for several decades before selling it to Woodruff in 1932.

Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans

Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans

Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans, a Virginia native, was a prominent businesswoman and philanthropist in Atlanta during the first half of the twentieth century. In 1932 she joined the board of directors for the Coca-Cola Company, becoming one of the first women in the country to serve on the board of a major corporation.

HealthVoices

HealthVoices

HealthVoices is a publication of the Healthcare Georgia Foundation that focuses on public health policy in the state and covers topics ranging from health insurance to taxes on tobacco.

Founding Board Members

Founding Board Members

The founding board members of the Healthcare Georgia Foundation, established in 1999, are pictured circa 2005. The private foundation strives to improve health care for all Georgians through grants and education.

Courtesy of Healthcare Georgia Foundation

Bradley Center

Bradley Center

The Bradley Center, a psychiatric hospital in Columbus, was established by the Bradley-Turner Foundation in 1955. Today the hospital is affiliated with St. Francis Hospital in Columbus and offers outpatient counseling and social services to the public.

Photograph by Kate Howard, New Georgia Encyclopedia

Pastoral Institute

Pastoral Institute

The Bradley-Turner Foundation supports the Pastoral Institute in Columbus, which opened in 1974. The faith-based institute offers various counseling, substance abuse, educational, and wellness programs.

Photograph by Kate Howard, New Georgia Encyclopedia

Turner Continuing Education Center

Turner Continuing Education Center

The Elizabeth Bradley Turner Continuing Education Center at Columbus State University, supported by the Bradley-Turner Foundation, is named for Elizabeth Turner, who was the daughter of W. C. Bradley and the wife of D. Abbott Turner.

Photograph by Kate Howard, New Georgia Encyclopedia

RiverCenter for the Performing Arts

RiverCenter for the Performing Arts

The RiverCenter for the Performing Arts in Columbus was built with a $20 million gift from the Bradley-Turner Foundation and matching gifts from other arts agencies in Columbus.

Image from Visit Columbus GA

Elena Diaz-Verson Amos

Elena Diaz-Verson Amos

Elena Diaz-Verson Amos poses with her husband, Aflac cofounder John Amos, in the 1980s. Born in Havana, Cuba, Amos studied as an exchange student at the University of Miami in Florida and remained active in Cuban advocacy and humanitarian causes throughout her life. In 1955 she and her husband moved to Columbus, where she became active in a variety of philanthropic causes.

Courtesy of Aflac

Memorial Statue of Christopher Columbus

Memorial Statue of Christopher Columbus

The Memorial Statue of Christopher Columbus was erected along the Chattahoochee Riverwalk in Columbus as part of that city's celebration of the Christopher Columbus quincentennial in 1992. The sculpture, commissioned by Elena Diaz-Verson Amos, depicts Columbus during four phases of his life. It was dedicated in 1993.

Callaway Community Foundation

Callaway Community Foundation

The trustees of the Callaway Community Foundation, founded by Fuller E. Callaway Jr., meet in 1956. From left: Arthur B. Edge Jr., Callaway, Hatton Lovejoy, Mrs. Fuller E. Callaway Jr., William H. Turner, Glenn Simpson.

Courtesy of Georgia Archives, Vanishing Georgia, #
trp021.

View on partner site

Fuller E. Callaway Jr.

Fuller E. Callaway Jr.

Fuller E. Callaway Jr. founded the Callaway Community Foundation, which offered charitable assistance to the employees of the Callaway Mills, in 1943. Today the Callaway Foundation offers grants for a variety of projects around Georgia, particularly in the LaGrange area.

Courtesy of Troup County Archives, LaGrange, Callaway Educational Association Photo Collection.

LaGrange Fountain

LaGrange Fountain

A statue of the Marquis de Lafayette, a French aristocrat and American Revolutionary hero, stands within a fountain in downtown LaGrange. The revitalization of the downtown area since the late 1990s has been funded, in large part, by the Callaway Foundation.

Courtesy of Frederick Mills

Ted Turner

Ted Turner

CNN founder Ted Turner became vice chair of Time Warner after the media giant bought Turner Broadcasting System in 1995. In 2001 Time Warner merged with the Internet service provider America Online, creating the world's largest media conglomerate.

Goizueta Foundation Center for Research and Doctoral Education

Goizueta Foundation Center for Research and Doctoral Education

The Goizueta Business School at Emory University began construction on the Goizueta Foundation Center for Research and Doctoral Education, a $33.4 million addition, in 2004.

Courtesy of Kallmann McKinnell and Wood Architects, Inc.

Roberto Goizueta

Roberto Goizueta

Having served as the youngest vice president in company history at age thirty-five, Roberto Goizueta became president of the Coca-Cola Company before reaching fifty.

Photograph by George Lange

Joseph M. Tull

Joseph M. Tull

Joseph M. Tull, who grew up in North Carolina, attended college after finishing grammar school because his area had no high school. He went on to become a successful businessman and entrepreneur in Atlanta, where he established the J. M. Tull Foundation, known today as the Tull Charitable Foundation.

From J. M. Tull: The Man, the Company, by F. M. Garrett

J. M. Tull Metal and Supply Company

J. M. Tull Metal and Supply Company

The Atlanta headquarters of the J. M. Tull Metal and Supply Company was erected in 1927 on Marietta Street. The company's warehouse held stainless steel, brass, copper, nickel alloys, and other industrial supplies.

From J. M. Tull: The Man, the Company, by F. M. Garrett

Rankin Foundation Founders

Rankin Foundation Founders

The founders of the Jeannette Rankin Foundation present the organization's first grant to Barbara Dixon, a student at Athens Technical College, in 1978. Standing, from left: Gail Dendy, Heather Kleiner, Margaret Holt, Reita Rivers. Seated, from left: Fred Friedricks (of Athens Technical College), Barbara Dixon, and Sue Bailey.

Courtesy of Jeannette Rankin Foundation

Jeannette Rankin

Jeannette Rankin

Jeannette Rankin, a native of Montana, became the first woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1916 and later purchased property in Georgia, first in Bogart and then in Watksinsville. After her death in 1973, proceeds from the sale of her Watkinsville land were used in 1976 to found the Jeannette Rankin Foundation, which is headquartered in Athens.

Courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, George Grantham Bain Collection, #LC-DIG-ggbain-23835.

Pitts Theology Library

Pitts Theology Library

With the aid of monetary donations from Margaret Adger Pitts, the Pitts Theology Library has grown to contain more than 520,000 volumes in several languages. The library, located at Emory University, also subscribes to more than 1,500 periodicals.

Courtesy of Emory University Photo

William I. H. Pitts

William I. H. Pitts

William Irby Hudson Pitts established the William I. H. and Lula E. Pitts Foundation, which funds various efforts of the United Methodist Church, in 1941. Large donations from the foundation have supported Andrew College, Candler School of Theology, Epworth by the Sea, LaGrange College, Magnolia Manor, and Young Harris College.

Courtesy of SunTrust Bank, Endowment and Foundation Services

Habitat for Humanity

Habitat for Humanity

A crew from the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation, headquarted in Atlanta, drives nails during a Habitat for Humanity house-raising. Arthur Blank, center, cofounded The Home Depot in 1979 and established the foundation in 1995.

Courtesy of Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation

Blank Foundation Trustees, 2004

Blank Foundation Trustees, 2004

The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation was established by Arthur Blank, cofounder of the Home Depot, in 1995. Standing, from left: Arthur Blank, Stephanie Blank, Penelope McPhee (foundation president), Kenny Blank, Nancy Blank, and Michael Blank. Seated, from left: Danielle Blank and Dena Blank.

Courtesy of Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation

Blank Family Office

Blank Family Office

Built in 2004, the Arthur M. Blank Family Office in Atlanta houses the Blank Family Foundation. The structure's design emphasizes recycling, efficient lighting, and water conservation, and it was designated a gold-certified building, the first in Georgia, for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

Courtesy of Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation

John Bulow Campbell

John Bulow Campbell

John Bulow Campbell, whose estate allowed for the creation of the J. Bulow Campbell Foundation after his death, believed that humility, charity, and service were necessary elements of a Christian life. His philanthropy flowed from this conviction.

Courtesy of the J. Bulow Campbell Foundation

Central Presbyterian Church

Central Presbyterian Church

Many consider the English Gothic–style Central Presbyterian Church in Atlanta (1885) to be architect Edmund G. Lind's greatest building.

Image from Warren LeMay

View on source site

Hurt Building

Hurt Building

The Hurt Building, named for Atlanta developer Joel Hurt and completed in 1926, was the seventeenth-largest office building in the world; still standing, it remains a distinctive Atlanta landmark.

Photograph by Ganeshk

Peyton Anderson with Lyndon Johnson

Peyton Anderson with Lyndon Johnson

Peyton Anderson, publisher of the Macon Telegraph and active community member, campaigns with Lady Bird and Lyndon Johnson in Macon in 1964. The man to the far right with crossed arms is U.S. representative Carl Vinson.

Courtesy Peyton Anderson Foundation

Robert W. Woodruff

Robert W. Woodruff

Robert W. Woodruff, pictured in the mid-1950s, was a prominent Atlanta businessman and philanthropist. Woodruff led the Coca-Cola Company from 1923 until his retirement in 1955 but continued as the company's unofficial leader until his death in 1985. During these years he donated millions of dollars, often anonymously, to charities, schools, and arts organizations.

Robert W. Woodruff

Robert W. Woodruff

Robert W. Woodruff became president of both the Trust Company of Georgia and the Coca-Cola Company in 1923 and eventually became the architect of Coke's worldwide expansion. In later years Woodruff was also Emory University's greatest benefactor. In 1937 he established the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, a charitable organization.

Image from oaktree_b

Centennial Olympic Park

Centennial Olympic Park

The Robert Woodruff Foundation was instrumental in the development of Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta.

Courtesy of Explore Georgia, Photograph by Ralph Daniel.

Thomas E. Watson House

Thomas E. Watson House

Georgia politician Thomas E. Watson purchased a home in Thomson in 1881 and lived there until 1904. The home is now a National Historic Landmark and serves as the administrative headquarters for the Watson-Brown Foundation.

Courtesy of Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc.

Walter J. Brown

Walter J. Brown

Journalist and pioneer broadcaster Walter J. Brown established the nonprofit Watson-Brown Foundation in 1970 primarily to provide college scholarships for underprivileged children and also to preserve the legacy of Georgia politician Thomas E. Watson.

Courtesy of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc.